25/10/2011

Phuket

23/10/11-24/10/11

23: With Bangkok under the threat of flooding I decided early on in Chiang Mai to escape for a few days to one of Thailand’s islands so I could hit a beach. With limited flight options from the local airport I ventured out today to Phuket, the largest of Thailand's islands. I had booked myself a couple of nights stay in the main town to muse over where I wanted to go.

That night I found a nice street bar to watch some football, the first time I've had a chance to see Spurs play since leaving home. It wasn't until I went to the toilet that I started to doubt by choice of bar. After going inside through some glazed doors I opened the toilet door to be greeted by the sight of two men being massaured by the sinks, one was having his back cracked while the other was being stretched out. I quickly went about my business and before dashing out of the door. Outside I turned to look at the name of the joint, turns out it was called Fantasia. A local online guide states the following:

Fantasia


This is another quintessentially Thai place, complete with extremely attractive and skimpily dressed dancing girls in a pretty good floor show, flashing lights, expensive drinks and a slight air of seediness. Be prepared to pay more here – for company, drinks and 'friendship'. All in all, this is a whole lot more entertaining than your typical Go-Go bar in Patong.


At least I had picked a classy place to watch the football! It sums up Thailand perfectly though, this place is just pure filth.

24: With nothing planned for the day I did what most people do when they arrive in Phuket, I visited some of the beaches. I stuck with the east coast so I first jump on the local bus to Chalong but after jumping off I found that there was hardly any beach there. I quickly move further along down to Rawai beach which I discovered is mainly use to transport tourist to neighbouring islands, so far not what I was expecting to find. I just wanted to find somewhere where I could park up for the day. Dissappointed I headed back to town safe in the knowledge that I was moving the next day to Karon on the west coast of the island. Hopefully I would find what I was looking for there.

No comments:

Post a Comment