31/01/2012

Invercargill

15/01/12-16/01/12

Time to move on once again as I had an afternoon bus that was to take me down to Invercargill, but with the morning free I took one last stroll around Dunedin, visiting the botanical gardens on the far side of town. Back at the hostel I said farewell to my companion over the last few days before I made my way to get on the bus, which was slightly delayed due to a change in driver. By the time I reach Invercargill it was late evening so I only pop out to grab some dinner was huge gusts of wind blew through town.

The next day I ventured out to the information centre and local museum. Here I paid a visit to see Henry, a rare 100 year old lizard whose reptile type has existed such the age of dinosaurs. Being a cold blooded animal he was happily playing statues in a sun-lit spot. After I adventured down to the Department of Conservation office in the centre of town to book my night’s stay at huts on the multi-day Rakiura hiking track on Stewart Island. This track is one of eight Great Walks spread out across New Zealand. With this all booked I followed a heritage trail around town to see some of the listed buildings that are spread about. Later I jumped online to book some further buses and accommodation as the next area I would be visiting was busy at this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment